Peña Cruz, PhD, earned his Bachelor's degree in Physics from the Autonomous University of Baja California in 2010, a master's degree in 2012 and a Ph.D. in 2015, both from the Renewable Energy Institute of UNAM. He closely supported the design and operation of the Central Receiver Experimental field (CEToC), within the framework of project 123767 National Laboratory of Solar Concentration and Solar Chemistry (LACYQS), promoted by CONACYT in Mexico. He has worked for the National Renewable Energy Centre (CENER) in Spain, in the development of methodologies to characterize solar concentrators in order to evaluate their quality and establish design regulations. In addition, it was awarded with funding from the European Union program “Solar Facilities for the European Research Area” (SFERA) to conduct a research stay at the Italian Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development (ENEA), in Rome, Italy.
In 2015 he joined CIO through the CONACYT Fellow scheme and is a founding member of the Solar Energy Research and Engineering Group (GIIE-Sol), formed by four researchers and conducts research projects with postgraduate students.
- Solar resource assessment through development of smart sensor using artificial vision.
- Simulation of optical behaviour of solar concentrators by ray tracing algorithms.
- Development of optical-thermal characterization methodologies in solar concentration systems.
- Design of solar thermal systems for industrial heat and electricity production.
- A Survey of Methods for the Evaluation of Reflective Solar Concentrator Optics. Camilo A Arancibia-Bulnes, Manuel I Peña-Cruz, Amaia Mutuberria; Rufino Diaz-Uribe, Marcelino Sanchez- Gonzalez, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. , Pag.0-0, Revistas Indizadas.
- IMPROVING PARABOLIC TROUGH MIRROR MODULE QUALIFICATION BY FOCUS TOOL. ISSN: 1941-7012, Manuel I. Peña-Cruz, Camilo A. Arancibia-Bulnes, Ana Monreal Vidal, Marcelino Sánchez González, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Vol.6, Pag.0-0, Revistas Indizadas
- HELIOSTAT TESTING AT A NEW FACILITY IN SONORA, MEXICO. Camilo A. Arancibia-Bulnes, Manuel I. Peña-Cruz, David Marroquín-García, Rafael E. Cabanillas, Carlos A. Pérez-Rábago, David Riveros- Rosas, and Claudio A. Estrada, Proceedings of the SolarPACES World Conference, Vol. , Pag.0-0,
- HELIOSTAT CHARACTERIZATION BY OPTICAL TECHNIQUES AND IMAGE PROCESSING. Manuel I. Peña-Cruz; Camilo A. Arancibia-Bulnes; Cuitlahuac Iriarte-Cornejo; Rafael E. Cabanillas; Claudio A. Estrada, PROC. ASME, ISBN:978-0-7918-4481-6.
- ANALYSIS OF DRIFT PHENOMENA IN HELIOSTAT IMAGES. Martha Escobar-Toledo; Camilo A. Arancibia-Bulnes; Manuel I. Peña-Cruz; David Riveros-Rosas; Rodolfo Peón-Anaya; Cuitlahuac Iriarte- Cornejo; Rafael E. Cabanillas; Claudio A. Estrada, PROC. ASME, ISBN: 978-0-7918-4481-6.