Daniel Malacara obtained his Ph. D. in Optics in 1965 from the University of Rochester. He has published more than one hundred and thirty refereed papers in Optical Engineering optics journals. He is a Fellow, both of the Optical Society of America and The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE). In 1987 he was elected a Vice-president of the SPIE.- International Commission for Optics . He has served the Optical Society of America as a Topical Editor for Applied Optics from 1989 to 1992.He also has served SPIE.- The International Society for Optical Engineering, as a member of the Board of Governors from 1900 to 1991.
In 1989 he was granted the Rudolf and Hilda Kingslake Chair in Optical Engineering, at the Institute of Optics of the University of Rochester. He also received in 1994 the A. E. Conrady Award for Scientific Achievement by SPIE.- International Society for Optical Engineers and in 1996 the Galileo Galilei Award, by the International Commission for Optics, and the Joseph Fraunhofer Award.-Robert M. Burley, from the Optical Society of America in 2002. He also received in 2012 the Gold Medal Award by SPIE.- International Society for Optical Engineers.
- Optical Testing and Interferometry
- Optical Design
- Optical Metrology
- Francisco Gantes, Zacarias Malacara-Hernandez, Daniel Malacara-Hernandez, Daniel Malacara Doblado, Zonal Processing of Hartmann or Shack-Hartmann patterns, Applied Optics, Vol. 56, Issue 7, pp. 1898-1907 (2017)
- Alejandro Téllez-Quiñones, Daniel Malacara-Doblado, Zacarias Malacara-Hernández1, David A. Gutiérrez-Hernández, And Daniel Malacara-Hernández, Transversal aberrations at arbitrary Hartmann-plane distances: application in the least-squares fitting of Hartmann data, Applied Optics, Vol. 56, Issue 4, pp. 1215-1224 (2017)
- Piero Rangel-Fonseca, Armando Gomez-Vieyra, Daniel Malacara-Hernandez, Mario C. Wilson. Automated detection of photoreceptors in in-vivo retinal images. DYNA 83 (199), pp. 57-62, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15446/dyna.v83n199.54578
- Malacara-Hernández Z, Malacara-Doblado D, Malacara-Hernández D. Least-squares fitting of Hartman of Shack-Hartmann data with a circular array of sampling points. Appl Opt., Vol. 54(28):E113-22, F.I.: 1.784 DOI:10.1364/AO.54.00E113
- Malacara-Hernandez, Daniel, Malacara-Doblado. What is a Hartmann test? Applied Optics, vol. 54, Issue 9, Pages 2296-2301, F.I., 1.784 DOI:10.1364/AO.54.002296
- Juan Camilo Valencia-Estrada, Ricardo Benjamín Flores-Hernández and Daniel Malacara-Hernández. Singlet lenses free of all orders of spherical aberration. Proc. R. Soc. A 471: 20140608.
- Geovanni Hernández-Gómez, Zacarías Malacara-Hernández, Daniel Malacara-Hernández. Hartmann tests to measure the spherical and cylindrical curvatures and the axis orientation of astigmatic lenses or optical surfaces. APPLIED OPTICS Vol. 53, No. 6. pp. 1191-1199
- Geovanni Hernández-Gómez, Zacarías Malacara-Hernández, Daniel Malacara-Doblado, Rufino Díaz-Uribe, and Daniel Malacara-Hernández. Modal integration of Hartmann and Shack–Hartmann patterns. J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. Vol. 31, No. 4. pp. 846-851.
- Geovanni Hernández-Gómez, Daniel Malacara-Doblado, Zacarías Malacara-Hernández, Daniel Malacara-Hernández. Modal processing of Hartmann and Shack–Hartmann patterns by means of a least squares fitting of the transverse aberrations. APPLIED OPTICS Vol. 53, No. 31. pp. 7422-7434.
- Zacarías Malacara-Hernández, Daniel Malacara-Hernández, Armando Gómez-Vieyra. “A New Derivation of a General Coddington Equation from the Sagittal and Tangential Coddington Equations” OPTIK. 124, 20, Pages 4627–4628 (2013) Piero Rangel Fonseca, Daniel Malacara Hernandez Automated segmentation of retinal pigment epithelium cells in fluorescence adaptive optics images., JOSA A, 30 2595-2600 (2013).
- Armando Gomez-Vieyra and Daniel Malacara-Hernández, “The calculation of wave front aberrations in off-axis spherical mirror with object or image at the infinite”, Optical Eng . 51(8), 083002.doi:10.1117/1.OE.51.8.083002
- Armando Gomez Vyeira, Daniel Malacara-Hernandez, “Methodology for the third order astigmatism compensation in off-axis spherical reflective systems.” Appl Opt. 50 1057-1064 (2011)
- 136) Armando Gomez-Vieyra and Daniel Malacara-Hernández, “Geometric theory of wavefront aberrations in an off-axis spherical mirror,” Appl Opt,. 50, Issue 1, pp. 66-73 (2011)
- Daniel Malacara, Joanna Schmit, Malgorzata Kujawinska, and Mitsuo Takeda, “400 Years of Optical Instrumentation: Feature Introduction,”Appl. Opt. 49 (16) pp. YOI1-YOI1 (2010)
- J. F. Mosiño, D. Malacara Doblado and D. Malacara Hernandez, “Calculus of Exact Detuning Phase Shift Error in Temporal Phase Shifting Algorithms,” Opt Exp 17, 15766-15771 (2009) 132)
- J. F. Mosino, D. Malacara Doblado and D. Malacara Hernandez, “A Method to Design Tunable Quadrature Filters in Phase Shifting Interferometry,” Optics Exp 17, (18) 15772-15777 (2009)
- 133) Armando Gomez-Vieyra, Alfredo Dubra, Daniel Malacara-Hernandez and David R. Williams, “First-order Design off-axis Reflective Ophthalmic Adaptive Optics System Using a focal Telescopes,” Optics Exp 17, (21) (2009)