Dr. Abundio Dávila Álvarez started his training in optics as a Bachelor in Physics at the UANL (Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León) in 1982, joining the Master in Sciences program in Applied Physics at CICESE (Centro de Investigación Científica y de Educación Superior de Ensenada) in 1986, and carried out his Ph.D. research at Loughborough University U. K. in 1996, he has since worked as Researcher at the “Centro de Investigaciones en Optica”, León México. He is well known for his expertise in Speckle Interferometry, particularly applied to the study of dynamics events with over 33 journal articles in optics. His main experience is in the following areas of optics: Speckle Interferometry, Speckle Noise Reduction, Transient Event Analysis, Phase Extraction, Fatigue Analysis, Diffraction, Apodization, Self-Imaging, Wavelength Scanning Interferometry, Vortex Interferometry, and Super-Resolution Microscopy for Nano-Structures Analysis. He has also obtained experience in Image Processing, and specialized in Fringe Processing Algorithms. Four Mexican projects on Speckle Metrology have been developed, and in his international projects, he has participated in two main projects funded by the EPSRC at the Wolfson School of the Loughborough University: “Optimization of Phase Extraction Techniques from Dynamic Phase Shifting Interferometer” GR/N22380/01 (2000-2001), and “3-D Strain field mapping of Scattering media Using Wavelength Scanning Interferometry with Applications to Damaged Composites” EP/F02861X/1 (2008-2011). He has obtained more than 383 citations from the published papers with an h index of 12.
- Non-destructive optical techniques
- Novel designs of interferometers for particular applications
- Tuneable lasers applications in interferometry
- Phase Microscopy
- J. A. Rayas and A. Dávila, "Optimization of a DIY parallel-optical-axes profilometer for compensation of fringe divergence," Appl. Opt. 60, 9790-9798 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.434571
- A.Dávila and J.A.Rayas. SINGLE-SHOT PHASE DETECTION IN A SPECKLE WAVEMETER FOR THE MEASUREMENT OF FEMTOMETRIC WAVELENGTH CHANGE. OPTICS AND LASERES IN ENGINEERING, Volume 125, February 2020, 105856, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2019.105856
- Rafael.G.González Acuña, A.Dávila, Julio C.Gutiérrez-Vega. OPTICAL FLOW OF NON-INTEGER ORDER IN PARTICLE IMAGE VELOCIMETRY TECHNIQUES. SIGNAL PROCESSING, Volume 155, February 2019, Pages 317-322, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2018.10.006.
- Abundio Dávila, Bruno Saucedo-Orozco, Marco A Meneses, Claudio Frausto-Reyes. Mach–Zehnder Stationary Two-Beam Spectroscopy Using Compound Prisms. Applied Spectroscopy. https://doi.org/10.1177/0003702818763820
- Davila, A. Wavelength scanning interferometry using multiple light sources. OPTICS EXPRESS, 24 (5), pp. 5311-5322. DOI: 10.1364/OE.24.005311
- A. Dávila, S. Márquez, E. Landgrave, Z. Vázquez, K. Vera, C. Caudillo. Axial loading verification method for small bones using carrier fringes in speckle pattern interferometry. Journal of Modern Optics, 62:11, 937-942, DOI: 10.1080/09500340.2015.1018680
- Alberto Aguilar, Abundio Davila, and Jorge Garcıa-Marquez, Multi-step vortex filtering for phase extraction, Optics Express, Vol. 22, Issue 7, pp. 8503-8514 (2014).
- F. R. Arteaga-Sierra, C. Milián, I. Torres-Gómez, M. Torres-Cisneros, A. Ferrando, and A. Dávila, Multi-peak-spectra generation with Cherenkov radiation in a non-uniform single mode fiber, Optics Express, Vol. 22, Issue 3, pp. 2451-2458 (2014).
- Alberto Aguilar, Abundio Dávila and J.E.A. Landgrave, Displacement measurement with multi-level spiral phase filtering in speckle interferometry, Optics and Laseres in Engineering, Published online 2013. Volume 52, Pages 19–26 (2014).
- A. Davila, J. M. Huntley, C. Pallikarakis, P. D. Ruiz and J. M. Coupland, Simultaneous wavenumber measurement and coherence detection using temporal phase unwrapping, Applied Optics, Volume: 51, Issue: 5 pp 558-567, (2012).
- A. Davila, J. M. Huntley, and C. Pallikarakis. Wavelength scanning interferometry using a Ti:Sapphire laser with wide tuning range, et al. Optics and Lasers in Engineering Volume: 50 Issue: 8, Special Issue, pp 1089, (2012).
- Davila, J. M. Huntley, and C. Pallikarakis, P. D. Ruiz, and J. M. Coupland. Simultaneous wavenumber measurement and coherence detection using temporal phase unwrapping, Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics. Volume 7. Issue 4. Page 558. Editors: Andrew Dunn and Anthony Durkin Vol. 7, Iss. 4 — Mar. 29, (2012).
- G. Ayala, A.L. Rivera, A. Dávila, G. Garnica and V.M. Castaño. Analysis of mechanical vibrations through speckle interferometry: A phase-space approach, Optik - International Journal for Light and Electron Optics Volume 121, Issue 22, Pages 2028-2035 (2010).
- A. Davila, G. Garnica, J. A. López, and F. J. Carrión. Fatigue damage detection using a speckle contrast technique”, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Volume: 47 Issue: 3-4 Special Issue, pp 398-402 (2009).